Sunday 9 August 2009

Sometimes Being Spontaneous is Good

I like plans. I like to know how my day will go and what will happen. I do not do well with large blocks of unplanned time; I crave structure.

So maybe someone can explain the small sleepover that happened here Friday night. I can't. Usually I plan these a week or two in advance, not the night they happen. But, Friday night we had a wedding shower for a young couple from our church (who got married in December and then spent the semester in Israel, so this was as soon as we could have it). Near the end, as people were cleaning up and heading out, two of the girls from church cornered me and asked if they could sleep over that night (they had missed the last official sleepover). Every instinct said no, but what came out was "ask your dad." Silly me; what dad wouldn't say yes to having half his children taken off his hands for a while! Then they convinced a third girl's mom to say yes too (because they knew that I wouldn't object; I'm such a sucker).

And so I had 3 preteens sleeping on my living room floor that night. They ate a pile of popcorn and some Popsicles and whatever else I had in the kitchen, played some games, and watched The Sound of Music. And, sweet things that they are, slept until almost 9:00 the next morning.

And it was fun. There was no planning, no stress, no worries. They ate and watched whatever I had and it was good. We laughed a lot and played games and talked and had fun.

That was my foray into spontaneity. I should plan to do it again some day!

2 comments:

The Martins Home said...

No Chocolate Chip Cookies???

Dorothy said...

We did that at the last sleep-over, at 1:00 am, and they were very disappointed that I didn't have the ingredients this time!