Monday 24 December 2012

Merry Christmas

Here's a Christmas song for the Dutch out there. Singing this at the end of every Christmas service was part of my childhood. For years I didn't know what it meant, but I sang it anyway. Mostly I sang the "sounds" rather than the words!



 

When I was young, we always sang it in Dutch. Later, as I recall, the English words were also given and people sang in whichever language they chose. I stuck with Dutch (although it's all the Dutch I know), I think because it sounds "right" to me that way. It's a part of my childhood.

For those of you who don't know Dutch, here's the translation:
Glory to God! (2X) In the highest! (3X)
Peace on the earth, peace on the earth to the people who have God’s favor.
Glory to God in the highest! (2X)
Peace on the earth. (4X) To the people, to the people who have God’s favor.
To the people who have God’s favor, who have God’s favor!
Glory to God! Glory to God! In the highest! In the highest! In the highest!
Peace on the earth, peace on the earth to the people who have God’s favor.
Amen, amen.

No comments: