Friday 12 May 2017

First Lines

I'm sitting in my apartment with a gang of Sunday School boys who are alternating between eating everything in sight and watching Rogue One (except the boy who is alternating between reading Charlie Brown and watching Rogue One).

Since I've already finished eating, and have already watched Rogue One, I think it's time for another installment of "first lines of books I am reading/recently read".

"The word community is used for a variety of purposes to denote groups of people who have something in common."

"Some years ago we planted a tree on the west side of our house expecting it to grow and eventually shade us from the afternoon sun."

"That amiable youth, Jimmy Thesiger, came racing down the big staircase at Chimneys two steps at a time."

"Mr. Mayherne adjusted his pince-nez and cleared his throat with a little dry-as-dust cough that was wholly typical of him."

"Before plunging into the first passage of the Bible, it might be helpful if I tell you where we are going in this series."

"A biblical understanding of idolatry dramatically changed my own life and exposed how far I had drifted from the gospel."

No comments: