Friday 26 January 2018

The Ramblings of an Aunt

Small Nephew is my sister's oldest child. He is 19 years old and towers over me, so I suppose I should have accepted by now that he's not my small nephew. Still...

He was such a nice small nephew. I lived with them for a couple months when he was 2 (and his brother was only a baby). I slept on the pull-out couch in the living room, and he used to come and join me in the early mornings to watch some television on the big comfy couch. After I moved out, he came to church with me; I picked him up in the morning and we took the bus to church. Generally we would get a ride home with the pastor's family (I was living with them at the time). Once his mom asked how he got home and he said, "God gave me a ride in his van."

After I moved to Edmonton, he waited eagerly for my visits home. He tried to come up with plans so that I could stay ("If your boss in Edmonton says you don't have to come to work anymore and your boss here says you can come back to work, then you could live with me."). One evening when I was over he was snuggling with me and sighed deeply. I asked if he was sleepy, and he said, "No. I've just been waiting so long for this moment."

We had fun together, with or without his siblings. He was so much fun and interesting and always my small nephew, even as he got taller and taller.

Today, Small Nephew is grown up. He has planned to join the Air Force for years, and today he was sworn in as a member of the Canadian Forces. He looks so happy and proud and young in the pictures, and somehow at the same time so grown up. 

I'm very, very proud of Small Nephew. I'm also a bit teary-eyed at the thought of him being old enough to defend his country. I prayed for him a bit longer this morning.

No comments: