Wednesday 10 February 2010

Why It Can't Be Done

I'm working on my World Religions course, and in the reading I've run into one particular author who seems to hold the view that all religions are valid, no one religion should claim to be the one right way, and we should all get along. The religions she speaks of most favourably are the ones that promote unity and that claim that essentially, in their core beliefs, all religions are really the same. She seems to want us to focus on what we have in common and confirm all beliefs as equally good and valid.

This why it can't be done: some religions say there's one God, some say there are many gods, and some say there is no God. When three people say three contradicting things, they can't all be right. Someone has to be wrong, and to say otherwise is to deny basic reality and to fool yourself; no properly thinking person can say that someone can exist and not exist at the same time.

Further, there seems to be a mistaken belief that the underlying principle that drives Christianity is love for all people. While love is important, it is not what makes Christianity what it is. Rather, it is this: that there is one God and one mediator between God and man, and that no one comes to God except through Christ.

And yes, there's a lot more that's important, including the incarnation, crucifixion, and resurrection. All of which only confirms my point: we cannot say that all religions are basically alike in their core beliefs. It can't be done.

2 comments:

bonchic said...

I jus wrapped up my world religion course too!! agree with you... I stumbled over you Blog.:D

Libby Davis said...

I agree with your thoughts on this. I stumbled onto your blog and find a kinship as I too am finishing up very demanding classes.

Best Wishes