Saturday 29 May 2010

The Sleepover

I have survived another sleepover with my girls. There were 10 of us sleeping in my living room last night (and for the record, it isn't a big room). We had a great time, watching movies, playing games, talking, and eating. They ate, among other stuff, 16 bags of microwave popcorn (although given the amount of popcorn I vacuumed up this morning, "ate" might not be the right word).

They're good girls and they make me laugh. The youngest is 9 and the oldest is 12 or 13, which doesn't sound like a big gap, but at their age is a really big difference. This is usually seen in their choice of movies. See, normally at the beginning of the sleepover we walk to Blockbuster to rent movies. I pair them up so we usually get 4 movies and there will be something for the little ones and the older ones. We spend a lot of time negotiating since the older girls don't want "baby" movies, but they tend to try choosing movies that I won't approve. This year I told them before the sleepover that if there were any arguments I would call their parents and ask if the movie was appropriate (I can accept the I may be more cautious than their parents although I doubt it). This decision already made them agree not to argue, so I thought it would be easier this year.

It turned out to be a moot point. It was windy and cold and threatening to rain yesterday evening so I didn't want to go out. Instead I went through my movies and pulled out the ones I thought they could watch.

The end result? My very grown up girls (who don't want to watch baby movies) choose, and sang along with, VeggieTales, including "Larry's Wonderful World of Autotainment," "Gideon, Tuba Warrior," and "Jonah." They also choose Shrek 2. They rejected E.T. five minutes in because it was "boring" (read: none of them stopped talking long enough to follow it and it wasn't animated) and only one of them wanted to watch "Narnia." My very big, so grown up girls!

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

That's too funny. VeggieTales seems to be just as grown up of a movie and it is a kid movie though.