Monday 24 May 2010

What I'm Reading

Along with piles of school-related stuff, I'm also reading Why We Love the Church by Kevin De Young and Ted Kluck. I've only just started so I don't have a lot to say about the book itself (except that so far I'm enjoying it). They have said something, though, that I've thought about before.

To start, though: I love the church. I know it isn't perfect, but I strongly believe that we are supposed to be a part of a local church, and to belong rather than just attend sporadically or church hop or even attend services regularly without any commitment. I think that it is important for fellowship and accountability, as well as for being taught and for serving.

So, here's the part that most resonated with me so far, and seemed to sum up a lot of people I've spoken with who will not join a church for whatever reasons: "People seem to want fellowship without commitment; they want to learn from each other, without being taught by anyone" (p.21).

I think it's a desire for freedom, first: freedom from commitment that may require work or service on their part, freedom to walk away if they disagree, and freedom from possible accountability from those who may see sin in their lives.

Further, I see an element of pride: they want everyone equal, teaching each other, with no one above anyone because then there is no one above them. No one is allowed to assume that he knows more than the rest or to offer more than an opinion, and thus no one is ever wrong.

Guess what? There are people who know more than others, and not everything is a matter of opinion; in fact, truth cannot be determined by opinion. And I, for one, am very thankful for men who study God's word and who know more than I, and who teach me truths, not just opinions.

No comments: