Thursday 3 June 2010

Not a Good Argument

I'm in a long-running argument with the kids about cell phones and MP3 players. They want to use them at work and at sleepovers and once in Sunday School, and I want them to put them away (or leave them at home).

My argument goes like this: No. You aren't allowed to have them here; it's against the rules. You need to be doing your work, not texting or listening to music, and you do not need the music to do your work; I've seen you do it with out the music. (That would be at work; at the sleepover it was: You're with a group of friends and you do not need to be texting each other or anyone else and you are certainly not going to be calling or texting boys tonight, not on my watch.)

Their argument: It's mine and you can't take it away, that's not fair, I need it.

My question: Why do you need it?

Their response: Because it's mine and you can't take it, that's mean!

They always seem so surprised when I don't give in to their astounding logic!

Side story: Last night I told one of my teenage girls to take those things out of her ears and put her iPod away while she's here. When she was going to argue I got up to take the iPod from her so she tried to shove it in her bra (although it ended up in her shirt). Her (male) teacher turned somewhat pink and was suddenly busy teaching another student!

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

I love their arguments. Poor teacher though. Alex has a friend that has to bring his ds everywhere. He came to Alex's party at the hockey game and a couple of them played their ds's most of the time. He had it last night at the soccer game too. It's crazy how they can't just leave the dang thing at home or in the car. I told him that Alex would NOT have his at the game as he actually went to watch it.