Thursday 8 July 2010

From the Kids

Here is today's story, courtesy of my students:

One of my grade 4 boys was working with a multiplication wrap-up for fun (he actually does reading with us but prefers math). For the uninitiated: wrap-ups have a row of questions on one side and a row of answers on the other and you wrap a string around them, matching questions and answers; there are lines of the back and if the string covers the lines properly, you got them all right. Got it? Good.

Back to the student: he was cheating by wrapping it from the back, simply matching the lines. When I told him he was cheating, he said, "That's how we do it in my country." From there we get the following conversation:

Me: Dude, you're from Canada. This is your country.

Student 2: Maybe his country is India [a reasonable guess].

Student 1: No, my country is Australia.

Student 2: Oh yeah? Well speak Australi-ish.

Student 1: I bet you can't speak Australi-ish.

Student 2: Well I'm not from there.

Student 1: Well I'm the president of Australia.

Of course you are, dear. In your own little world.

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

That's funny. And so something I could see Zachary being part of.