Sunday 26 June 2011

Church Library

Exactly 3 months and 1 day ago a friend and I sat down and decided the vision statement and mission statement for our potential church library. After it was approved by the elders, we started collecting and sorting and categorizing and fixing and organizing books.

The church library opened today to absolutely no fanfare since the pastor forgot to announce it. Granted, the church bulletin did have a small announcement, but I don't think people actually read the bulletin; they just use it for sermon notes and doodling (and writing Bible location quizzes for small, bored children, but that may be just me).

Anyway, most of the people who knew the library was opening were people I had been talking to about it, and most of the people who came to check out books were children (maybe I need to talk to adults more). There were adults there, but a lot of them seemed to have been dragged in by children who wanted to check out books but needed a parent with them (grade 6 and under need to be accompanied by a parent (which is a good rule since one of the boys came with his dad and chose the movie "Through Gates of Splendor" which I was later told has nudity but I don't feel responsible for potentially corrupting him (new church library motto: "Encouraging Adults and Corrupting Children"))).

Still, there was some business, and I'll get the pastor to remember to announce it next week. Plus, I finally get to be a proper librarian: I checked out books, recommended books, and discussed books. It is every bit as wonderful as I though it would be when I was young and dreaming of being a librarian.

No comments: