Thursday 27 October 2011

10 Things Married People Miss

I read an article about 10 things married people miss about being single. Here's my take on them, from the perspective of a single person.

1. Spontaneity. Absolutely. It is much easier for me to just do stuff, even little stuff like running errands, than it is for married people and especially if those who are married with children.

2. A good night's rest. Again, there is something to be said for not sharing the bed, and for not having children wake me up in the night.

3. Being selfish. Okay, here's where things are different. I get that it's fun to be selfish, but it's something I actually fight as a single person. I need to keep myself involved in the lives of others to avoid selfishness. Unlike the writer of the article, I don't think it's a good thing (but I agree that we all tend to lean that way).

4. Traveling solo. Yes. Although that may be just me; I know single people who want traveling companions.

5. The chase. Really? If it's just the admiration of men that you want, you'll still get it (assuming that you got it when you were single), so your need for affirmation is fulfilled. If it's the choice you miss... maybe you should be happy with your choice. At the very least, remember what it was really like: generally the ones who chase are not the ones you want to chase you. Trust me on this one.

6. Not checking in. There is something to be said for being able to change my plans last minute or stay out longer than I had planned (some of that comes under point 1). On the other hand, there is some bit of loneliness that comes from knowing that if I get home late -- or not at all -- no one will notice.

7. Random hook-ups. I have no experience with this one, nor do I ever plan to.

8. Shameless flirting. Yeah, like married people never indulge in this. The difference is that they shouldn't, and if they do, it shouldn't lead anywhere.

9. Not sharing the remote. I do like that I can watch what I want, when I want (well, movies and TV on-line, but the idea is the same).

10. Meeting new people. Do married people not do this? Really? Actually, I'm not big on meeting new people. I'd really like a way to go from strangers to friends (or at least acquaintances) without having the stress of meeting people, trying to remember names, and deciding if I really want to know this person.

So here's what I take from this: married people miss being selfish, being spontaneous, and other relationships (which often seem to link back to points 1 and 3). Interesting. As a single person, I will concede points 1, 2, 4, and 9 as being good things. Point 3 I try to fight. For points 5, 7, and 8, I have to say as I don't have enough experience (um, which means that even if you were single, you might not either; even if you did, it may not last). Point 6 has both pros and cons.

There: 4 good reasons to remain single. That's enough for me!

No comments: