Saturday 26 October 2013

Saturday at Work

Work is going fairly well lately. I haven't been working very crazy hours, and I actually got off early today. I only had one test, first thing this morning, and was done with the test and conference by 12:30. Normally on a Saturday, I test at 10, 12, and 2, so the days are a bit longer. I had all my reports updated and entered by 1:30 (for both centres), had answered emails and adjusted schedules, and was generally good to go. In fact, the only reason I didn't leave by 2 (when the students leave) is that we had a staff meeting scheduled at 2.

I have a great staff. When I let them know last week that there would be a meeting today, their response was to make a sign-up sheet for snacks at the meeting. A couple of them finished teaching at 1:00 (thanks to some cancellations and no-shows) and headed out for coffee and more food.

My little guy who came in for a test is rather interesting. He's 6, in grade 1, not too bad except for his sight vocabulary. The main issue is that they're going to be away from school for over a month in the new year because of a wedding in India. Anyway, it was his expressive vocabulary answers that interested me:

Me: Tell me about "knife."
Him: It means you fight.
Me: Um...tell me more about knife.
Him: You use it if there's bad people.
Me (trying to get an answer that shows up on the list): What do you do with a knife?
Him: You kill them.

(For the record: there's nothing about fighting, bad people, or killing on the list. I was going for stab or cut by the end!)

Then....

Me: Tell me about "envelope."
Him: It's a fruit. You eat it.

So work is good and the students are interesting!

No comments: