Sunday 15 June 2014

Sunday School

Today was the last Sunday School for the year. I finished by giving them their final exam. I don't take it very seriously and they're allowed to work together, use old worksheets, and copy from one another. Basically, I want them to review some key topics and go home with a short recap of the year.

A couple of my boys had most of the worksheets with them (they came prepared this year). They weren't very organized, though, so they ended up with a mess of papers all over the table and everyone searching through to find the right pages! The other teacher and I helped them find the right papers, worked on spelling, and encouraged them to help each other. In the end, almost everyone finished (some students were late and some were slow at writing).

It was interesting to watch. One of the older boys finished his test quickly with some help from the other boys' papers but did not think he should have to help anyone else. He ended up just sitting there doing nothing because I took his test away and gave it to one of the slower students so she could copy his answers. He knew all the answers and could have helped the others, but choose not to. I don't think, in the three years I had him, that I managed to get through to him on this area. He's smart and quick and I haven't been able to teach him about grace and putting others first. I'll keep praying for him.

By now I'm ready for a break from teaching. By September I'll be ready to teach again and very happy to have them back. I'm losing 4 of my boys to the junior/senior high class, but the 3 girls who should move on have asked to stay (two sets of parents are concerned about them being with the older teenagers, and the third girl will stay because there are no other girls moving up).

This summer I need to start preparing for next year. We're going to be studying Acts and the early church.

It's been a good year.

No comments: