Thursday 9 October 2014

Nicknaming a Child

Last week we had a visitor in Sunday School. He came with one of my regular students; I think he was visiting with his family from out of town. His name is Thomas. I told him that he couldn't be named Thomas because we already had a Thomas so he would have to change his name.

We tried Thomas 1 and Thomas 2, but that didn't sound right.

We tried Thomas W (his last name started with W) and it was okay.

Finally, we asked him his middle name in case it would work. His middle name is James. There are too many James's in the church (although none in our Sunday School class) so I didn't want to name him James.

We finally settled on T.J. It was short, easy to say, and seemed to suit him. His response was "Yeah, DJ TJ!"

Sunday morning I assigned a nickname to a new student, and possibly a career choice. I'm sure his parents will be okay with it.

No comments: