Saturday 10 December 2016

Last Night's Adventure

Last night, at just after 10:00 (maybe 10 after, maybe quarter past...somewhere in there) I was at the happy, relaxed part of my day, by which I mean I was in bed, reading a book, all warm and cozy. And then the fire alarm went off. I seriously jumped and looked around at first, not sure what was going on. Then I made the noise stop in the room and listened to make sure it wasn't just my alarm malfunctioning. It wasn't; I could hear the alarm in the hall as well. I figured I should probably leave.

I stuck my head out the door to check if I could smell smoke. Everything seemed normal, except for the alarms going off. Also, I could hear people moving around. I went back to my room, got dressed (I threw on socks and jeans, and pulled a sweater over my pjs), got into my boots and jacket, grabbed my phone, keys, and wallet, and headed downstairs.

Side note: Isn't it just known that when there's a fire, you don't use the elevators? Granted, no one in the building believes that there is ever a fire, since it's always a false alarm, which might explain the number of people using the elevator. I didn't; I used the stairs.

I did not go outside. It was very, very, very cold. Some people were outside, others we in cars, and the rest of us (at least those of us who came down) waited in the lobby where it was warm. We figured, if there was a fire, we could leave when the fire fighters came and told us to leave.

Soon enough the fire trucks arrived, and 3 firemen came in to the building. They looked at the alarm panel and determined that the alarm had started on the second floor (my floor). They came through the lobby, leaving their hoses by the door, although they had an axe and a pick. Obviously they didn't think there was going to be a fire (probably the lack of smoke; plus, no one would have called 911), because they took the elevator up to the second floor! So not even the fire fighters follow that policy all the time!

A few more minutes passed. We chatted a bit, continued to refuse to go outside, and admired the small baby who was not disturbed at all by the sirens. Eventually, the firemen came back downstairs and told us we could go back up. There was no fire, no smoke, and no reason to worry.

By 10:30, I was back in bed with my book, like nothing had even interrupted my happy time.

No comments: