Sunday 1 January 2017

My Nonfiction Choices

First, some numbers for you concerning my reading habits this year:
64 nonfiction
46 fiction
1 book of poetry
1 allegory (I'm never sure how to classify Pilgrim's Progress, as fiction or nonfiction. In the church library, we call it "Classic Christian Literature".)

Okay, here are my top picks (I didn't add notes to all of these titles because there ended up being a lot of them)....

  1. Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick
  2. Romans by R.C. Sproul (easy-to-read and in-depth commentary)
  3. Theological Fitness by Aimee Byrd (a not-pink-or-fluffy book written for women....she seems to grasp that women can think!)
  4. A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent
  5. Ordinary by Michael Horton (to balance the idea that if you're not doing big things for God, what you're doing isn't enough)
  6. Sanctification: The Christian’s Pursuit of God-Given Holiness by Michael Riccardi; 
  7. The Story of Everything by Jared C. Wilson
  8. The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
  9.  John Calvin and His Passion for the Majesty of God by John Piper
  10. Good News for Weary Women by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick (I think I would recommend it for all Christian women, and for some men as well)
  11. Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ and Seeing Beauty and Saying it Beautifully (from "The Swans are Not Silent" series) by John Piper (each book has 3 short biographies linked by a common theme; I'm working my way through the series)
  12. The Wright Brothers by David McCullough
  13. Spiritual Discipleship by J. Oswald Sanders
  14. Fair Sunshine by Jock Purves (about the lives and martyrdom of the Scottish Covenanters)
  15. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by Bruce A. Ware
  16. The Power of Prayer in Believer’s Life by Charles Spurgeon (so many good things!)
  17.  For the Glory by Duncan Hamilton (about Eric Liddell, a great man)
  18. The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges (one of my favourite authors; both deep and accessible)
  19.  Out of the Blues by Wayne Mack
  20. Parables by John MacArthur
  21. 30-Second Astronomy, editor Francois Fressin (I just ignored the evolutionary bias and enjoyed learning about space)
  22. The Totally Useless History of Science by Ian Crofton (it's just fun)
  23. What is the Mission of the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert
  24. The Hole in Our Holiness and What Does the Bible Really Teach About Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung (I'm pretty sure I would read a grocery list if Kevin DeYoung wrote it!)
There were a lot of other books, of course, and most of them were good (and a couple were so-so), but these are my top picks, the ones I'd read again.

It's 2017 now, and I have a stack of books already picked out to start reading!


No comments: