Monday 5 June 2017

Sunday Notes

Yes, yes, I know it's Monday. Yesterday sort of got away from me. I meant to write in the afternoon, but got distracted by things. Then I had a family from the church over for dinner and to spend the evening. It was a lot of fun, and I totally forgot after that I hadn't written anything.

Yesterday ended my Reformation lessons. We talked about John Calvin. At the end, he was ill and had to be carried to church to preach. The students wondered how he could preach if he couldn't stand, and I pointed out that he could sit to preach; standing wasn't a law or anything. It's just easier to preach if you're standing because then you're higher than the congregation (and you can be seen and heard better).

This led to a discussion about how our pastors could sit to preach. The seat would have to be very high, and they would need stairs to reach it. Or, one student said, the chair could be lowered from the ceiling, with the pastor on it. I'm not sure what the pastors would think about that!

There's only one more Sunday School left before we break for summer. I have mixed feelings: I love teaching and there's so much left to teach them. At the same time, I'm ready for a break.

This hymn was new to me this week, Enjoy!


No comments: