Sunday 12 January 2020

Sunday Stuff

Today was the first post-Christmas break Sunday School class. We learned about William Carey and his time in India. I don't know that they understand what a big thing it was for him to leave home and go that far away, to never go home again, and to have months between letters from home. We live in a much smaller world in that way. With email, letters get places so quickly. And we give missionaries breaks now and then. It's a whole different world.

James is preaching through John's gospel now. I'm really enjoying it (but then I love John's gospel).

Our associate pastor is leaving us at the end of the month. They (he and his family) are moving up north (way north) to a church who needs a pastor. I'm sad that they're leaving, of course; I love them and have loved having them here for the past 4 years. At the same time, I realize that we have 2 excellent, godly men as pastors, and there's a church without anyone. They need him in ways that we don't; we have another pastor and the elders, and we will be cared for. I think that I would feel selfish if I insisted that they stay here and leave that other little congregation to take care of themselves.

And now, a hymn for Sunday:


No comments: