Friday 2 August 2024

Farmer's Markets

Back when I worked at my former job, there was a farmer's market that I could stop by on my way home on Thursday evenings. It was a nice set-up with plenty of fruits and vegetables, some bread, and fudge. I often stopped at the hotdog stand for supper as well; it was my weekly treat. I left that job a few years ago and I don't know if that farmer's market is still there. I did enjoy going. Since then, I haven't often gone to a farmer's market since they were no longer as convenient. In my attempt to be more healthy in my eating, and because the fresh fruits and veggies taste so much better, I thought I'd look up any places close to me this summer.

Last weekend I had a disappointing experience. I last went to one particular farmer's market in the summer of 2020, and it was a great market. I checked out their website recently and it shows shows several vendors that I like, and since they're not too far from me, I thought I'd check them out. I'm pretty sure no one has updated the website for years; there were very few vendors and not much there. They've also moved back a bit to where they are no longer seen from the road, so their drive-by business is limited. If I hadn't needed to be in the area for another errand, I would have been very miffed to have gone all that way for pretty much nothing.

On Wednesday evening, I tried another farmer's market, this one even closer to me. It was much, much better. It had all the regular vendors, as well as a few that I may try. This week was just about getting some fresh fruit and veggies. Going forward, I may try a "new vendor each week" approach. I might also try some of the food trucks. The food is a little more than I like to pay, but I can experience new things and see what I like (that I can maybe try finding recipes for this winter). Also, they have the wonderful lemonade truck. I'm only a little sad that it was the end of July before I made my first visit!

And I was right: The fresh produce is so much better than the stuff at the grocery store!

No comments: