Friday 30 May 2008

Learning

I've been studying a lot lately. I have another exam next week so I've been trying to understand everything about New Testament introduction. It's a lot of new ideas (and some bits that I already knew) to fit into my brain somewhere!

I've also been reading a lot lately (big surprise, I know). The thing is, my reading is gradually shifting from mostly fiction to mostly nonfiction. I still spend some time in fiction to give my brain a break, but there's a lot of other stuff going in there as well.

Here's what I'm learning about learning:
First, it's hard work. I think I'd gotten rather lazy in my reading for a while and now I have to retrain my brain to think harder and to sort through what I'm reading. I can't just accept everything when I'm reading nonfiction.

Second, the more I work at learning the more I want to learn. It's like I've woken up a very hungry part of my brain and it always wants more. I need to be careful, actually, that I don't overdo things and get burned out too fast. I like it though; it's making me look at the world differently and it's very exciting to learn and to want to learn and to have the opportunity to learn.

No comments: