Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas Morning

Christmas morning was interesting. Usually on Christmas morning there are other people; this year it was just me. There have been other years that I've been alone Christmas morning (although not many) but this one was different. Usually they either don't really feel like Christmas or I am lonely and wishing I was elsewhere. This year it felt like Christmas and I enjoyed it.

Christmas Eve I read from Isaiah 9 and John 1: promises of the coming Messiah and the Word becoming flesh. It is amazing, both that Isaiah was talking about Him hundreds of years before His birth and that He came.

Christmas morning I woke up slowly. I read from Matthew 1 and 2 and Luke 2 of the coming of the Messiah. There was time to stop and reflect and pray.

Eventually I did open presents, but slowly, taking time to enjoy everything and to think about the presents and the people who sent them. There was no reason to hurry, so I didn't. It may be the most relaxed I've ever been.

Now, eventually I did spend time with other people. I headed off to Pastor Lyle and Joan's in the afternoon. It wasn't so quiet then! When their son and his family arrived it took only a moment for the smallest (she's 3) to take her place on my lap so she could look at pictures with me. There were games and dinner and a lot of laughter. And that was just as much fun as the morning had been.

It was a very nice Christmas. And it came without the post-holiday let down. Yes, the presents are open and the food is eaten and it's technically over. But it isn't really, is it? Because the Word became flesh and unto us a child was born and that hasn't changed.

2 comments:

Katarina said...

Glad it was good Dorothy girl.

pbfwood said...

That does sound like a very nice Christmas. Glad you enjoyed all your presents and you had good company for dinner.