Tuesday 30 December 2008

Comfort Food

I've been thinking about comfort food today.

For lunch I had hash browns: I fry them up in some butter; while they're frying I beat a couple of eggs with some spices (salt, pepper, whatever sounds good) and then mix them into the hash browns fast (it has to be mixed before the eggs start to cook). Sprinkle on some cheese, turn down the heat, cover, and let sit until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted. Technically I think it's a side dish, but it works nicely as lunch. Yeah it doesn't sound like much, but Mum used to make them for us and they are my number one comfort food.

Then there's Kraft Dinner. The real stuff, with the bright orange cheese, in the blue box. Yes, I should have outgrown it by now but....when I was in Taiwan and missing home I learned about the American Box Store with food imported from the states. I was homesick enough to pay $4.00 for a box of KD. And it was worth it.

Finally, on my list is Campbells Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. During that same time in Taiwan my baby sister, bless her, mailed me 2 cans of soup. It was pure happiness.

Those are my main comfort foods, the ones I want when life is too big or I'm too far from home or, on a day like today, when I'm relaxing and happy and avoiding the big, cold outside world.

So....'fess up. What are your comfort foods?

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

Pasta with alfredo sauce is a great comfort food and grilled cheese sandwiches.