Tuesday 15 September 2009

Quote of the Day

Background: There's an elephant at the Valley Zoo here in Edmonton. Her name is Lucy. People seem to be very upset about her; she's not feeling well and she's all alone (she's the only elephant there) and they want her moved to an elephant refuge in the U.S. (question: why not leave her in Canada, say with the other elephants at the Calgary Zoo?). There may be more to the story, but I'm not really big on details when it comes to upset animal rights activists. Most of the time they are working on emotion and not facts. Besides, there are celebrities involved and I dislike the belief that celebrities are automatically experts and we should all listen to them

So...this morning, as I was waking up, I was listening to the radio, waiting for the weather report (because I like to know the weather before I get up) (for those who wonder, I listen to the country station; I like their music and they play the news/sports/weather every half hour in the morning so whenever I get up I can listen for the weather). There was a news story about Lucy; it seems some vet expert from the San Diego Zoo came to look at her and said that, because of her respiratory problems, it would be fatal to move her. As in: try to move her to the elephant refuge place and she will die. But Bob Barker (from the Price is Right) is still planning to come and lead a protest (or something like that) to insist that they move the elephant. Yeah, I thought, there's a plan: ignore the vet and listen to the celebrity "expert."

Okay, so after the news and stuff, just as I was thinking that I should get up the deejay said (it's not an exact quote, but as close as I can remember) (and you'll have to imagine the slightly sarcastic tone):

"It's not that I doubt the expert from the San Diego Zoo, but I sure am glad we're getting a game show host up here too."

And that is why I like the station's morning guys.

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

As nice as the animal refuge may be it does sound better to leave him there. Ah well, celebrities are like toddlers and teens and think they know it all.