Sunday 27 September 2009

Jam

This fall I decided to learn how to make jam with varied results. I'm done with jam making (I'm almost out of jars and need the last few for apple sauce) so here's how it went:

Strawberry jam: was renamed "strawberry sauce" for it's refusal to set. Later, though, I learned that after it had been in the fridge for a while it acted more like jam; Mum told me I had made "soft jam." It's good on toast.

Blueberry jam: most of it is also "soft jam" but still very good. I love blueberry jam!

Mint jelly: was only made because I grew mint on my balcony and needed to do something with it! It's pretty and seems to have set okay but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it!

Raspberry jam: I found the easiest recipe and it worked like a charm. I haven't tried it yet, but it smelled good and it looks good.

Peach jam: was an interesting experience. I didn't have quite enough peaches for any of the recipes so I had to guess at the amount of sugar to use. I think I used too much (because with too little it doesn't set so I was worried about cutting back too much) so it's sweet and somewhat sticky. It's good, though, and I would make it all the time just for the smell of cooking peaches. Plus, peach jam is so pretty!

That was my end of summer fun. I really like making jam and I like eating homemade jam! Plus, all the jars sealed nicely much to my delight!

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

Good job!!!!! I know what you can do with some of it.