Sunday 3 April 2011

Church Library

We're getting a church library! We have a vision statement, a mission statement, a place to have it, and a few books and DVDs. It's a good start!

The vision statement gives the long-term goals. We wanted to rival the great libraries of Europe, but the elder took that part out. He did let us keep the desire for a fireplace when we get a permanent room for the library. Right now we're leasing part of a school for church and the library will share my Sunday School room.

The mission statement gives the day-to-day workings of the library. It's 2 pages of incredible detail so that nothing goes wrong ever (ha, ha...aren't we optimists!). Actually, the point was to get things set up properly now so that we have fewer issues further down the line.

One of the elders is going to make bookcases for us. He asked how many I wanted and I wasn't sure how optimistic to be, since we're depending on donations to get the books for now. We decided on 4 bookcases based on the amount of space we have, along with a filing cabinet and a desk (that his wife will be very happy to get out of their house).

I have a few books and DVDs here that have been donated; the rule now is that all donations must be brought to the church. I also have several books, mostly from school, that I plan to donate, leaving me room for this year's school books. I do need to make sure I only bring in the books I haven't written in, though. A couple other people told me that they have piles of books that we can have as well. From what I've heard, the only issue we may have is not many (or not any) books for kids, and at least 3 children are excited about the library already. We'll have to see how that works out.

It's all very exciting since I've always wanted to be a librarian and I'll get to play with books!

No comments: