Wednesday 6 April 2011

Just Do Something

I recently read the book "Just Do Something" by Kevin DeYoung. It's a small book and a fairly easy read, and yet full of good stuff. I quite enjoyed it, both the topic and his writing.

The general idea is that knowing God's will for our lives is not that complicated. He wants us to be saved, filled with the Holy Spirit, rejoicing and giving thanks, bearing fruit, and being filled with the Holy Spirit. Once you get that down....just do something. If you're genuinely wanting to follow God and become more Christlike, God won't let you wander out of His will. What career you choose, where you live, even who you marry -- as long as you're not sinning in your choices (getting illegal work, abandoning your family, marrying a nonchristian) -- will be God's will for your life.

See, I think sometimes we spend a lot of time worrying and praying and seeking advice (and the latter 2 are very good ideas) and never doing anything. We use "seeking God's will" as a reason to never do anything.

I learned this when I was trying to decide what Bible college to attend. After months of gathering information about different schools and talking with people I finally reached the point that I knew that looking into more colleges and programs was just putting off making a decision. So I prayed about it, looked at all the information, and choose the one that worked best for me in terms of theology, course offerings, and program design. I didn't wait until it "felt right" or until God "told" me to go; I just choose and got on with the process of applying.

So there you are: obey God, follow God, serve God...and then do stuff.

No comments: