Saturday 31 December 2011

Books of 2011

Okay, so I should be doing a "top 10 of 2011" post. Mine would be about books. Here's the problem: I don't actually know all the books I read in 2011. In fact, I only know one person who knows what books she read because she made a list. I think I'll do the same for 2012; I'd like to track what I read.
I have looked over my bookshelves, checked my library records, and looked at what I bought on-line. It helped a bit. Instead of a "top 10" I'll tell you what I read that you should read, in no particular order (most of them were read in the past 3 or 4 months, because that's how far back my memory goes).

God's Wisdom in Proverbs, by Dan Phillips: go down a few posts and find out why you should read it.

But God...
by Casey Lute: To be completely honest, I bought this because I like the words "but God" but mostly because I know Casey and wanted to support him. It is a very, very good book. I wrote a review of it somewhere.

Just Do Something
, by Kevin DeYoung: I did a review of this too; it's really good for countering the "you need to hear a voice or have a feeling before you act" crowd.

Uneclipsing the Son
, by Rick Holland: One of the best books I read this year, and so convicting that I made a friend read it so I didn't have to be convicted alone.

A Passion for the Impossible
, by Miriam Hufman Rockness: This is a biography of Lilias Trotter, who headed off to Algeria with a friend in 1888 to be a missionary. They didn't know the language (although they did know French, which helped) and they didn't know anyone in the country. It's amazing how God worked through her and her willingness to go.

When the Darkness will not Lift, by John Piper: This is a short, quick read, but deep enough to make you think. He writes about dealing with depression as a Christian, possible causes, and how to support people who are walking in this darkness.

Those are the big ones, the ones that made an impact on me in a big way. I also read and enjoyed:
Fine China is For Single Women Too, by Lydia Brownback
Inheritance, by Christopher Paolini (the last of the Eragon books)
From the Christian Heroes Then and Now series: Betty Greene and Wilfred Grenfell
Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand (about Louis Zamperini)
12 Stories of Christmas, by Joe Wheeler (the type of stories that might make you cry)
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Why One Way? by John MacArthur
A Cup of Cold Water, by Christine Farenhorst (about Edith Cavell)
Hostage Lands, by Douglas Bond
The Betrayal, by Douglas Bond (a novel about John Calvin...I almost forgot about that one (I think it was this year))

There have been other books, but they were either for school, or not so good, or okay but not enough to recommend, or I've forgotten them!

6 comments:

DJP said...

Thanks for the kind mention, and I totally agree about But God and Just Do Something. Absolutely TERRIFIC books.

(c:

Casey said...

Thanks again Dorothy. And if you are looking for a good way to track what you read, I suggest using goodreads.com. It worked for me this year--so I guess you know two people who tracked everything they read.

Anonymous said...

For an author to make this list is a huge honour for them. With all you read, I know it's not like this is the only books you have read this year. Keep reading and keep recommending! Love you!

Patty said...

Found one way to comment, lets see if I can use my name too. I like commenting on you - in a good way of course.

Dorothy said...

Patty...welcome back to the world of commenting! I'm glad you figured out a way (but I knew you were one of my faithful readers). Speaking of reading...you should try reading some of the books I'm recommending. I plan to do more of it this year.

Dorothy said...

Casey, I'll check out the sight; I really do want to track what I read this year, partly for curiosity and partly to keep me on track with reading goals.