Monday 16 January 2012

Our Influence

I've been thinking, lately, about how much we influence the world around us. I've always thought that I have a small sphere of influence: a handful of blog readers, a Sunday School class, and the rest of the kids at church who come to play. It isn't much, but I'm pretty happy with it. Still. sometimes I'd like to go out and change the world!

Then one of the men at the church said something that got me thinking. He's one of the elders as well as the father of one of my Sunday School boys. He was telling me that his son sometimes comes out with deep stuff that he's learned from me, and that really, I'm influencing future generations. We were interrupted then, so the conversation ended on that note.

So now I'm thinking: in teaching my kids, I'm giving them the knowledge of God that they are going to pass down to their children. By having the girls over for sleepovers and the boys over to watch movies and play with Lego, I'm modeling hospitality for them, showing them a way of living that they might remember when they are adults. And they're watching me, talking with me, listening to me. (Side note: I know their parents, their other teachers, their friends, their pastors, etc. are all also part of this, and I'm not trying to take away from their influence; in fact, this would apply to them as well.)

It makes me feel my responsibility so much more. I'm not only teaching this generation, I'm setting things up for the next ones as well.

2 comments:

Patty said...

You are changing the world. You have influence over so many people. These kids likely tell other kids what you say too, not just their parents. Everybody a child comes into contact with is influencing them, that's why we have to watch what we always do. My kids have gotten the reputation that they will move without thinking of someone gets on the bus and needs a seat. Sometimes I wish Timothy would just keep his seat because he is so little still, but he sees his big siblings giving up theirs if it's needed. They were influenced by the people who do that all the time, some total strangers to us.

I think you influence people you don't even know.

Dorothy said...

Great...now I'm more overwhelmed by the thought of my influence!