Sunday 29 January 2012

Church Notes

I left my Sunday School class mostly to my helper today. It's a workbook Sunday and she takes those; I only do the beginning and ending of the class. While she had them come up with answers and made sure they were written down properly, I set up an email address for the church library. The library is in the classroom, so I could still pay some attention to what was going on.

The purpose for the email address: too many people are neglecting to return their books. I'm not talking a week or two past the due date, either; we have people with items due in October. It's getting frustrating and it leaves me wondering what people are thinking. Do they think it doesn't matter since it's the church? They may change their minds when they get an email telling them that we plan to start charging late fees. I received official permission last week, so maybe we won't have anymore items out for months on end.

Back to my class...they're still wonderful and funny. I told them at the beginning of class that they are all terrible, terrible children because most of them didn't know their memory verse and none of them had done the take-home page. They know that I love them, though.

The workbooks have a page of review questions and then a page with an activity of sorts. Sometimes the activity is stupid and we skip it, but not today. They were supposed to make a word search with words relating to our lesson. Four times I told them to make sure the word fit before writing it in and still there were cries of annoyance when the word didn't fit. I had to convince one child that he could not put three letters in the same box so the word would fit!

In church my small elf managed to write down some things that the pastor said (with a lot of prompting at first). The she drew a picture about the sermon, and then she did a crossword puzzle I had made for her about places in the life of Jesus (taken from the map in the back of my Bible). By then the sermon was almost over so I wouldn't give her back her notebook (I had been cleaning up already) and told her to listen for a few minutes. At the end she told me that it had been sooooooo loooooong....at least 5 minutes! Poor baby. One day I'm not going to keep her entertained and busy for the first 40 minutes and see how she likes that!

And, a hymn for this week:

No comments: