Wednesday 29 August 2012

Oh My...

I don't have cable or satellite television at home, so whatever I watch comes form the internet. I have happily allowed this to limit my viewing. This week I'm staying at a hotel in Grande Prairie and dealing with limited internet access (it comes and goes), so I'm watching television again. It turns out that I haven't really been missing much.

It isn't all bad. I've watched some Jeopardy and a few dramas and episodes of The Big Bang Theory and that's been fun. Tonight, though, I was bored and decided to check out Toddlers and Tiaras. All I could think was, what is wrong with these people????? The children are so totally spoiled and you cannot convince me that they all want to be in the pageants. Some of them are not quite 2 years old. And the moms...they're all paranoid and scary. You can tell that it's all about them and how their daughter's win (or loss) reflects on them. They need a life of their own so they can let the children be children. Speaking of which...who dresses a 5 year old up as Sandy from the end of Grease, complete with big hair and a cigarette? Her mom spent a lot of time trying to justify it, like she was really trying to convince herself that it was okay. The other little girls weren't much better. It actually made me very sad and I wanted to bring them all home and let them be children.

I think I had better stop watching most television again. It upsets me too much.


1 comment:

Patty said...

Good thing you turned it off before Here Comes Honey Boo Boo came on. It's about one of the pageant girls families. I have NEVER watched it nor have I seen much more than 10-15 minutes of Toddlers and Tiaras. I think it's more than wrong. Maybe that's why my kids jump around different activities - because they have to finish the season but don't have to return if they don't want to.