Friday 7 September 2012

On Hearing God

I believe I've posted on this before, but I'm still thinking about it.

Confession time:
I have never heard God speak to me.
I have never heard that "still, small voice" everyone is supposed to hear.
I have never had a dream or vision from God.
I have never "felt led" to do something.
When I make big decisions, I rarely have that perfect peace that proves that what I'm doing is God's will.

When I have to make a major decision...
I pray.
I talk to people who might have good advice or ideas or who might have experience.
I look at the options, weighing the pros and cons.
Then I do whatever seems to be the best decision.
Often I have second thoughts and I worry that I made the wrong decision and I pray more.
In the end, it all works out.
God is still in control of my life, even though I don't "feel" Him.

Here's the thing:
I don't know what "feeling led" feels like.
I just do stuff that I want to do.
Sometimes I just do stuff that needs to be done.

I think that "God told me to" or "I don't feel God leading me to" are just attempts to avoid responsibility and keep people from questioning your decisions.

I take responsibility for my choices. I choose what I do or don't do, and I don't blame God for my decisions.

I've stopped wondering if I'm missing something in my walk with God or if I'm not a good enough Christian because I don't hear His voice and all that stuff. I've finally realized that God has told me everything I need to know and has written it all down for me so I can read it whenever I want. What more can I ask for?

No comments: