Saturday 7 September 2013

Today's Frustration

Am I the only one who gets frustrated with trying to get people to help? It seems everyone has an excuse. I get really tired of "I prayed about it and I just don't feel led to help." Hey...there are times when I don't "feel led" to teach either, but I do it (those would be the mornings when I'm tired and I "feel led" to go back to sleep). Or, they don't "feel called" to help. I'm pretty sure the Bible never says anything about needing to "feel called" before you do something. If it means that much to someone, though, I'll be happy to call them.


I'm not really sure, though, how to respond to people who use any of "feel" excuses. I really, really don't think that it's a particularly biblical response. I don't see the Bible telling us to serve if we feel called or led. It just says to serve the body.
I would like to respond with one of these:
For those who don't think they're gifted in teaching and who don't accept that I can teach them all they need to know:
Oh, and a recent frustration: Do NOT tell me that you can't help after all and "let's see how God will provide." He did provide: He provided you. You changed your mind (yes, you prayed, but what's your point? You prayed and God told you it was okay not to serve?).
So far I've been perfectly polite to people who have these excused for not serving. I'm going to need a lot of prayer to keep being polite, though, if I keep hearing this nonsense.
And that is today's frustration.



"I don't care how you feel. The question is, are you willing to serve your church family?"
"Where does the Bible talk about feeling led before you serve?"
"I'm glad you prayed about it. I still don't understand how "feelings" come into the equation."
"Where does the Bible talk about needing to be "called" to serve?"
"Well, if you really need to be "called" give me your phone number and I'll call you."

"Wait...are you telling me that if I don't think I'm gifted in something, I don't need to do it? Great: I've decided that I'm not gifted in giving or showing mercy. So now I don't have to do either of those things, right? They're in the same passage (Romans 12:6-8)."



No comments: