Friday 7 February 2014

Hospitality

I'm having people over for supper today. I should probably tidy up a bit; at the very least, I should pile up the books somewhere. I have room for all my books, but school and church and Bible study stuff tends to be spread out everywhere so I can see what I need to be doing. Piling them up will make the place look a bit better and will clear the second table so we can use it to eat.

Yes, that's right: second table. I have a dining room table, but I only have 3 chairs. The second table is usually in the living room (okay, truth: it's all one big room, dining room, living room, kitchen (which is at least marked off by the counter), and office (that place between the couch and the dining room table where my desk and printer table are)). It's used for doing school work, and usually has piles of stuff on it. It can be put in front of the couch and used for eating off of as well.

I have chicken in the slow cooker, veggies in the fridge, a large supply of potatoes, and a cake baking. So far as food goes, I'm good. I also have lego for the kids (and maybe their dad).

I used to stress about practicing hospitality. I thought everything had to be perfect and I was hesitant to invite people over, especially if the number of people out-weighed the number of dining room chairs. I also thought the food had to be spectacular and fancy.

I was wrong. People don't care about all that stuff (and if they do, invite someone else over. Maybe a family: the moms will just be happy that someone else is cooking). I keep the food simple so I don't have to wonder if it will turn out. Most people (even children) like chicken so it's a pretty safe choice. I serve potatoes and usually a variety of raw veggies and some buns. Add cake or ice cream for dessert, and everyone is happy. We can sit around the living room to eat and no one cares. A couple weeks ago I had 2 children at the dining room table, 1 child sitting on the floor in the booster seat (it has a tray), the parents on the couch at the second table, and 1 child and I at the coffee table. It worked.

The point is: the Bible tells us to practice hospitality. It doesn't tell us to wait until we can do everything perfectly because that day will never come. We're just supposed to love one another. If you can do everything fancy, then good for you. Otherwise, serve them whatever looks good and have fun together.

No comments: