Friday 24 February 2017

What I'm Reading

I've been reading a lot this year (big surprise, right?). I've also been working a lot, and reading has helped me relax. A couple trips to Calgary for work has given me uninterrupted reading time on the way down and back (the person I go with likes to listen to her music as she drives and not talk much, and I can read in the car without getting carsick).

Anyway, here are some of the books I've been reading. Today's focus is on children/youth fiction.

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. It's been years since I read this; it's still good.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson. A friend recommended it; it's not bad. It's a pretty easy read, and somewhat predictable, but it flows well and ends well.

Your Momma Thinks Square Roots are Vegetables by Bill Amend. Actually, this is a book of Foxtrot comics. I like Foxtrot comics.

Warriors: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter. A lot of the kids are reading this series, and they convinced me to try one. It's about cats in the wild. They have tribes, fight among themselves, and eat a lot of mice (and talk a lot about biting into fresh kill). It was interesting enough to finish the one book, but not interesting enough to read more of them (also, the eating mice parts were icky).

Right now I'm reading Heidi again, and planning to borrow the sequels from a friend. And I'm working my way through Ben Hur, which is not technically for children; however, my friend's 13 year old son read it (but he reads more than I do). Now every week he asks how far I am in the book, so I need to finish it soon!

That's about if for fiction so far this year.

No comments: