Sunday 24 September 2017

In Which Change Does Not Bother Me

This was the first Sunday in 8 years that Sunday School has been taught and I have been at church and not involved in any way. There were, of course, summers off, vacations, and days when instead of teaching, I was observing other classes or having meetings about Sunday School. There was also the occasional Sunday when we were having a conference and there was only one class so the teachers could also attend.

Today was different. Today I not only did not teach, I attended the adult class as a student. Not only that, I plan to keep doing this. There will be weeks when I'm in the other classes, observing how things are going. For the most part though, this year I will be in the adult class and I will be a student.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, but it was very, very good. I loved being in a class, and I didn't miss teaching. The best part was during the service, when I was relaxed and not thinking about Sunday School and the other responsibilities I have on a Sunday morning. Junior Church is no longer my domain (we put the 4 year olds with the 3 year olds and called "preschool nursery"). The library runs itself without me when I need it to. And now Sunday School is going and I can relax about it.

Until I slowed down, I didn't realize how tired I was and how much I needed a break. I didn't realize that I was sitting in church every Sunday, trying to focus but with so much going through my head. I didn't realize how much I was missing of the service and how burdened I always felt. Today was so different from previous years. I think this was a very good idea, and I should have slowed down a year ago.

Also, I really, really enjoyed the adult class. I have been listening to Pastor Mike teach Sunday School for at least a year on-line, but being in class is so much better. Not only is it easier to focus, I can hear what everyone else says (when I listen on-line, there are gaps (some of them long) when other people are talking).

So, despite my dislike of change, this one, I think, will make me very happy.

No comments: