Friday 22 February 2019

Outside

I've been told that I should go for a walk every day. The goal is not so much exercise (although that's good), but just to get me out of the house and to help clear my mind. I find walking helpful for thinking things through and dealing with any troubling thoughts that are trying to take over. It's generally peaceful, there are few distractions, and it's a good time to think and pray about things.

Of course, it's winter and night comes early, so that's been modified for now. If I can go in the morning (often on the way to work), that's good, and then I'm supposed to go on Fridays and Sundays (when I'm not working). The other caveat is that it has to be above -20 (including the wind chill or the "feels like" factor) and no fresh snow on icy sidewalks (because a nasty fall would not be good for my health).

It's been cold for too long now. I've been taking the long way to work to avoid the walking part because even when it's not too cold, the wind is sharp and cutting. My walking has been to and from the bus stop and that's it.

Today, there was the perfect convergence of nice weather and a day off. It was only -2 and there was no wind. I was delighted. It's been a tough week or so and I really, really needed the fresh air and time to unwind and refresh. It was lovely and quiet (with only the occasional other walker). The pond is frozen, of course, with a coat of snow only sometimes broken by tracks (that seem to be more animal than human). I was out for around 40 minutes and came home only a little cold. I plan to go out again soon to enjoy the nice weather again. It's not expected to last; by tomorrow, the forecast is -15 (feels like -23), and it doesn't look like it will be much better until late next week (if then).

I hadn't been walking much even when the weather was nicer. I did walk part way to work most days (it's about a 20-30 minute walk), so that was something. In the evenings, it's dark before I get home (I get off between 7 and 8, so it's dark before I leave work). I didn't realize how much I was missing even the walks to work until today. It's my new advice to people dealing with anything: take a walk, unwind, and get a fresh perspective on life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling properly warmed up (thank you hot chocolate) and just about ready to head back out for a short while.

No comments: