Friday 1 February 2019

Teaching about Zwingli

It's another Reformation lesson in Sunday School this week. I'm teaching them about Zwingli and the Swiss Reformation. Zwingli is interesting: he was only involved in the Reformation for around 12 years, and he was only 47 when he died. He had a huge influence as a leader of the Swiss Reformation in a short period of time.

The interesting things that will come up in my teaching:

1. The disagreement between Luther and Zwingli about Lord's Supper, in which we will side with Zwingli and learn that no one (not even Martin Luther) is perfect. We may also discuss the issue of when to divide over an issue (since they agreed on the other 14 points).

2. The Swiss war between the Protestants and the Catholics, in which Zwingli was a soldier (although likely a chaplain). In this one, we may end up in a discussion about whether Christians can go to war, which is always interesting (although in reviewing my current class, I don't know that anyone is going to be as opposed to the idea as some students were when I taught it some years ago).

I like the Reformation weeks.

No comments: