Wednesday 3 January 2024

2023 in Books, Part 3

 As I was thinking about making the "Year in Books" posts, I realized that there is one more category now. Wednesday mornings is women's study at the church, and I take care of the homeschool kids. In previous years, my responsibility started with children who were 6 and in grade 1, but there were way to many nursery kids this year, so I gained some younger ones. As a result, I have one room full of children who are 5 or 6, and I spend the last 30 or so minutes of the morning reading to them. I tried a chapter book as that worked for the past couple years, but these kids are a bit younger and, I think, many of them are not used to being read to regularly. I eventually switched to picture books and that worked much better.

All that to say, here are some of the best picture books that I read my little guys this fall:

Click, Clack, Moo Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin, pictures by Betsy Lewin. This is the book that started the switch to picture books as it was given to me one Wednesday morning, so I read it to the kids. It's just so much fun to read and the kids loved it. We also read a couple others by the same author.

I'd Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylviane Donnio, illustrated by Dorothee de Manfried. He's a wee little crocodile who rejects all the food because he wants to eat a child.

Anatole by Eve Titus, pictures by Paul Galdone. Anatole is a brave, smart little mouse who lives in a mouse village just outside Paris. We started another one of his adventures but did not have time to finish. It's on my pile for when study starts up again in January.

Come Back, Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish, pictures by Wallace Tripp and Bravo, Amelia Bedelia by Herman Parish, pictures by Lynn Sweat. The kids find her incredibly funny, even though they miss half the jokes because they are also very literal minded.

Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile by Gloria Houston, illustrated by Susan Condie Lamb. This one is a true story about a lady who wanted to be a librarian and started by driving a bookmobile. I wasn't sure how well they would listen since it lacks the humor of the other books we read, but they seemed to really enjoy it.

Fly High, Fly Low by Don Freeman

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

The Story of Babar the little elephant by Jean De Brunhoff, translated by Merle S. Haas.

No Clean Clothes by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond.

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.

No comments: