Wednesday 26 November 2008

Why You Should Get to Read the Course Syllabus Before Registering for the Course

Because then you can avoid courses with the following words:

"write a seventeen page summary"
"complete EXAMS"
"write a ten page summary/response"
"read 300 pages and write an eight page summary and response"
"there are 12 short exams"
"WRITE a twelve page paper"

All of those words showed up on page 3 and 4 of the syllabus for Apologetics. Once my heart started beating again I was able to read more carefully and relax a bit. Each exam is based on two chapters of one of the books and has one to twelve multiple choice and true/false questions, so they aren't really exams; they're more like quizzes. Also, I have six months to complete the work so it isn't that much.

I think it was the lack of due dates that threw me. Everything has to be done by May 25 and all the homeword has to be submitted together. When I have a course outline that says "by this date submit this assignment...." for each paper (with dates spread out over the six months) it looks more manageable. Now I have to manage my own time. This will be a learning experience in itself!

No comments: