Friday 1 January 2010

The New Year

And so another year is over. It's been an interesting year all around, and many people are happy it's over. It's funny; January 1st is a rather arbitrary time to start the new year (and as a teacher I always feel that the year starts in September), and today looks much like yesterday, but it for many people it feels like a new start and maybe this year will be different, better somehow. I don't know. The old year wasn't all that bad for me and yet I too was tired and ready for it to be over. Maybe it's just the feeling of starting over, getting another chance to do things right or at least better, combined with the wonder of what this year will bring.

Lately I've been learning about finding more joy in the Lord, about how amazing it is that He has chosen me and forgiven me and that I belong to Him forever. That God looks upon me with love, with mercy and compassion, always. And it makes me want to know Him more and serve Him fully and rejoice.

The Bible study I belong to has been memorizing scripture together and over the holidays we've been learning Psalm 4. I'll leave you with the last 3 verses, the ones that have been bringing me the most amazement and joy lately:

"Many are saying, 'Who will show us any good?'
Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O Lord!
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For You alone, O Lord, mane me to dwell in safety."

No comments: