Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Mosque

For World Religions, I was supposed to visit 3 different religious services. One of my first choices was a mosque. I'm interested in learning about Islam as I'd like to one day be a missionary in a country like Pakistan.

It's a very good thing that the prof was willing to accept visiting a place of worship outside of a service if that was all we could do, since visiting the mosque had a lot of complications. First, I was told by a friend (who talked to a friend) that we wouldn't be allowed to attend a service at a mosque because we aren't Muslim. I later learned, however, that this restriction only applies to certain types of Muslims. Two of my teachers are Muslims and they said that of course we would be welcome at the mosque close to where I work. The ladies would all be happy to see us, and would ask questions, and when they found out why I came, they would tell me all about everything.

They also told me that Friday prayers were they best time to visit; Friday is their holy day and before prayers there is a sermon. Unfortunately, they also said that Friday prayers start at 11:30, which is when my friend and I were waiting outside the mosque. Alone. Finally someone showed up and went inside, so we followed.

Here is what we learned that day: first, that we went in the men's door (we knew there were separate doors, but we didn't know what one to use); second, that prayers start at 1:00 (they were there early to get a good seat). We went home then, and weren't able to visit the mosque either later that day or any other Friday due to other obligations (like work).

I did talk to one of my teachers about the mosque and the service and how things are done. She said the men especially like to be early because the seats nearest to the front are also nearest to Mecca. There are lines on the floor so when you kneel to pray, you can line yourself up to face Mecca. The men and women are separated to keep the men from being distracted by the women as they pray. They used to have the men at the front and the women at the back, but when any men were late they had to step over and around the women and that didn't work so well. Now they are on different sides with a solid barrier (or a window with blinds); this is also nice for the women who can sit more comfortably if the sermon is long.

And that's my tale of visiting the mosque.

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

All I could think about was Little Mosque on the Prairie. At least you were able to learn some things about a mosque.