Sunday 13 February 2011

Stories from Church

1. We have a rule in Sunday School that they aren't supposed to ask about snack. They used to ask throughout the lesson and it distracted any students who were actually listening to me. For a while (i.e. one week until I put a stop to it) they asked about "that thing we can't talk about" but I pointed out to them that not using the word was not the same as not asking about it, so they stopped that too.

However....they still never use the word "snack" even when asking about it at legitimate times. Before class or at the end they ask if there is "any... you know" and "that thing we can't talk about" or just "Hey, is there any...."

Today one of the boys briefly added a new term to the list. The other teacher was talking to this boy's mom when the boy walked up to the teacher and asked if she had brought any "unmentionables." The mom looked somewhat surprised (go figure!) and the teacher quickly explained. He used the same term at the end of class and after I laughed I finally explained to him what "unmentionables" are ("What part of your clothing don't you talk about?" "Your underwear...oh....oops!").

2. Pastor James has been preaching through Colossians, and today he was at "Husbands love your wives" (Side note: for any ladies out there who think their husbands should listen to this sermon, you're right, they should, but then you need to listen to last week's sermon). Not long after he started the little monkey who sits with me suddenly whispered "But you don't have a wife." Um...no, I don't. I'm not sure what was going on in her mind; maybe why was I listening? She did add "and you don't have a husband."

3. After church the kids come for candy. The little kids tell me what Junior Church was about and the rest have to tell me about the sermon. They all did pretty well except the pastor's son who said "Husbands, obey your wives."

No comments: