Sunday 14 August 2011

Christmas in August

Yesterday some of my junior high girls came over to celebrate Christmas. Yes, it's the wrong time of year (and it was possibly the hottest day of summer), but it was fun. We decorated Christmas ornaments (most of which are hanging around my livingroom drying properly) and ate Christmas food (okay, ham and turkey sandwiches with dried cranberries) and watched Christmas movies. There were coloured lights all around my apartment and Christmas movies playing and a gift exchange (which was wild; in the end, I lost the chocolate pudding but kept the DQ gift card).

And there was laughter. There were times when we were crying with laughter and couldn't breathe. There was insane silliness and strange new inside jokes and those moments (you know what I mean) when everything seems funnier than it really is.

(Side note: I'm checking out videos to post while I write this. In one version of "Joy to the World" the lyrics posted on the video said "Let men their songs employ" but the singer sang "Let all their songs employ." It was half politically correct! Also, one song claimed to be "Joy to the World" but was actually "Silent Night." Can people not tell the difference? In the end, as you will see, I went with something totally different.)

Okay, back to what I was saying: it was everything I needed now. All the stress of life disappeared and all that was left was joy and delight. Life was beautiful again.

Merry Christmas, everyone!


2 comments:

Katarina said...

Maybe that's what I need this week, a Christmas party...you want to come plan it?

Dorothy said...

I wish I could! Next summer (the girls are already planning it) you'll have to come and join us!