Friday 17 February 2012

Computers, God, Trust

Last Monday my computer at work decided not to work properly. It refused to let me do anything work-related (although the internet still worked, so it wasn't all bad). I spoke first to a very patronizing tech support guy who explained to me where to find the "my computer" icon and to click on it twice...by then it was open and I was waiting. He also told me how to restart the server, the same way as you restart any computer. In the end he couldn't fix things and I felt too happy about that.
Anyway, I spoke with tech support 4 days last week (mostly letting them have remote access and then waiting for it to be fixed). By then parts of it worked and other parts worked sometimes. Friday I was off, Saturday was too busy to deal with tech support (and the parts that didn't work caused a lot of trouble and extra work for a lot of people as they helped me deal with stuff), and Sunday I was off. Monday I called tech support again and Tuesday our internal computer guy was able to come and call tech support himself (after taking about 5 minutes to figure out what was tying up my server so it wouldn't work). By the end of Tuesday, everything worked. Well...almost everything, but it only took tech support about 20 minutes Wednesday morning to fix the last glich.
I am pleased to say that for about 24 hours everything worked perfectly. By then, though, I was tired of tech support and I was able to live without the other parts for a while. Next week, I will have to deal with it again, but I'm thinking that out internal guy can come and deal with it for me.
All of these issues have left me way behind on paperwork and reports and stuff. So far, in fact, that I've pretty much given up on catching up. Maybe if I could get just one day without anything new to deal with there would be some hope. As it is, I've been working long, long days just trying to keep up and deal with tech support.

And so I have been tired and frustrated and grumpy. It's been very, very hard to trust God in the midst of wanting to yell at my computer or maybe introduce it to a baseball bat.
By last weekend I knew I was in a very bad way. I was snapping at kids and being impatient with our internal tech guy who was trying to be helpful. I was also excusing myself: I was tired and things weren't going well and if the computer would work and I could work fewer hours everything would be okay.
It isn't true though. Things weren't okay until I admitted that my attitude and behaviour were sinful and I needed to confess and repent and spend more time in prayer and less time complaining.
This past week has been much better. I'm still tired and there are still computer issues and I may never catch up on paperwork... but this week I prayed more when I was frustrated and accepted that God is sovereign even over computers and didn't take my frustration out on people or bottle it up. This week was better.

Still... I am very, very happy for a 3-day weekend.

No comments: