Monday 12 February 2024

Church Stuff

We moved into our new building 7 years ago; I wrote about that here:   https://dorothysthoughts.blogspot.com/2017/01/my-church.html

Things went along fairly normally for a while, although we lost a pastor to a church up north and gained another one. Then covid came and everything changed. You can look up past posts from those years if you want to know more about that. When the dust settled, we had pretty much doubled in size. We have two services now because we couldn't all fit (and in first service, full of crazy morning people, there are chairs in the library and in the foyer; second service is smaller but still sometimes sees families up in the library). Sunday School is full and there are more children every year, both from new families and many new babies.

Plans are in process for a new building with a sanctuary big enough to hold everyone, and then a later building for education (with so many Sunday School rooms!). We're at the paperwork, permits, petitions and permission stage. If things go according to our plans, we may have the first new building in a couple years, and then Sunday School can stretch out and fill up the current building. Of course, our plans might not be God's plans. I know that the elders pray a lot for wisdom in all this, and that we do things in a way that will glorify God, not us. I pray this too.

It's all very exciting. It's sometimes overwhelming as well, trying to manage the number of children and cope with a very, very crowded foyer between services. Sometimes I would like to go back to when there were fewer people, but as I told my history class once: I want fewer people, but I don't want anyone to leave!

No comments: