Tuesday 20 February 2024

Muffins!

Today is National Muffin Day, so in honor of it, I am once again sharing my favourite muffin recipe. It is a banana muffin recipe that I got from my friend Faith many, many years ago, and I use it all the time. I have it memorized, which was helpful when I was visiting friends and they wanted to make banana muffins to use up the "definitely ready to be bread or muffin" bananas!

I also use this recipe for many types of muffins: zucchini chocolate chip; strawberry; blueberry; ugly muffins (using frozen mixed berries, which give the muffins an interesting colour). Just use whatever fruit or berries you have on hand instead of bananas.

With no further ado, I present my banana muffin recipe:

3 bananas (well, 3-ish; if you have 4, by all means use all four, especially if they're small)

1 egg

1/3 cup oil

a small container of yogurt (the size you pack in lunches) or the rough equivalent*

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cup flour

Mash up the bananas, add the egg, oil, yogurt, and sugar, and mix well. Add the baking soda and flour and mix just until everything is wet and mushy; do not over-mix.

Fill your muffin cups and bake at 350 for around 20 minutes or so minutes. You should get 12 muffins.

*The yogurt is optional. The original recipe didn't call for yogurt, but one day I was making muffins and discovered that I didn't have any eggs. I searched on-line for a solution and discovered that yogurt can replace eggs when making muffins, so I threw in a small container of vanilla yogurt. I liked the texture and now I add it all the time, even when I have eggs. The muffins are moister and the vanilla flavor is nice. You can leave out the yogurt or try different flavors.

No comments: