Thursday 15 February 2024

Wednesday Morning

Yesterday my board room helper was not available (he was at a family reunion) so I had decided to grab one of the other big boys to help. Of course the least responsible, most likely to either be too bossy or just talk the whole time, young man wanted to help! I turned him down and got one of the boys I wanted instead: one of the oldest in his family, responsible, and likely to do his work and make sure the others did theirs. 

Our trivia cards were about reptiles and amphibians. We had fun, and I made sure they knew the difference between poisonous and venomous creatures. They tried to name every turtle some variation of "Giant, Huge, Enormous Turtle" only to find that they were actually named things like "Green Turtle" and "Leatherback Turtle". One young girl had both of her older brothers in the room and they kept suggesting the wrong answers when it was her turn...and she kept believing them! My middle group boys thought it was funny when I referred to them as the "unusual reptiles" (the girls thought it was hilarious). 

My little ones enjoyed Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin (written by Chieri Uegaki and illustrated by Qin Leng), although they thought her brothers were very mean to her (they were at the beginning). They also liked the story A New Coat For Anna (written by Harriet Ziefert and illustrated by Anita Lobel), especially seeing the sheep, the spinner, and the weaver. I try to make sure that the children will enjoy both the story and the illustrations, and these were definitely successful. 

In all, it was a good Wednesday morning.


No comments: