Wednesday 9 April 2008

Idol and God

UPDATED BELOW

To set the scene: I was watching the end of an American Idol special this evening. It was, I think, called "Idol Gives Back" and they were raising money for some charity or other. I came in near the end and didn't pay a lot of attention to detail.
Okay, to get to the point: the last song they sang was "Shout to the Lord" complete with a choir. The people I was watching it with were talking about how great it is that they sang it and how much Christian music there was in the show, and other happy stuff. My thoughts were different.
First, they changed the first line from "My Jesus" to "My Shepherd" and thus made the song just a generic "religious" song.
Second, I really don't believe that all those people there singing the song were all Christians. I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely. What I do think is that they were using God and religion the same way they were using emotional songs to get people to give. It bothered me. It still bothers me.

Friday: I didn't watch Idol last night, but I am told that they sang the song again and this time they didn't change the words. Which is better, but I still wonder at the motivation behind the original decision to sing it.

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

But if it works they will be happy and unfortunately it's all about the money for charity. I do think they should keep the songs the way they should be sung and not change words like that.