Tuesday 12 August 2008

Things that Make Me Happy (part 2)

  1. There's this little guy at work. When he first started he was close to impossible: he was rude and wouldn't work and thought he was stupid. I've been teaching him the most because I can deal with him and I don't mind dealing with him (his mom especially lets him get away with stuff and is easily manipulated so it was mostly a case of being firm and waiting him out). We've been working on words and on short vowel sounds and I've been watching him become less frustrated and more able and willing to decode (and we make sure all the words are easily decoded; for any others he comes upon we just give him the word). One day last week he picked up the book we'd been working on, pushed my hand aside, and read the story. All by himself. Sounding out all the words. Refusing all help. I don't know which of us was happier. My boy can read.
  2. I have a little Children's Church class, a group of 3-6 year olds (although on Sunday it wasn't so little; there were 13 of them and where they all came from is anyone's guess). There are other teachers but since I run it I tend to be teaching more than the others and I love it. I love all the babies (I've laid claim to all the children at church of course!) and I love teaching so it works well. It is how I can serve. Sometimes, though, I wonder if they're listening and if I'm getting through and if there's any purpose to it all. These times are usually right after I've spent 45 minutes trying to get them to sit still and sit up and stop poking and knocking on the table and yelling out "who's there" and.....well, you understand. Anyway....a couple weeks ago we had a baptism service and some of my kids (who are older now and how did that happen by the way) were being baptized. The pastor asked one of them a question about her testimony and she started with, "Well, I was in Children's Church and Miss Dorothy said..." And suddenly it's all worthwhile. And I was happy (and I cried too of course).

Okay, there you go: things that really make me happy.

ps Patty? You make me happy too! And I'm so proud of you for dealing with all the stuff over the past few months. But remember: you're still my baby sister!

1 comment:

pbfwood said...

Oh my goodness, those two stories are so sweet. See they do listen to you, even when they don't appear to be.