Monday 17 April 2017

Sunday Notes

Okay, yes: It's Monday. Yesterday was very busy, so you get the Sunday post today. I hope I didn't drive off all 7 of my readers by doing this!

Yesterday was good. There was no Sunday School (we give the teachers a break for Easter). After the service, I learned how to play quarter hockey (which, it seems, should be penny hockey, but no one has pennies now). It was a very exciting game to watch as the two boys battled it out for bragging rights. I also watched an interesting snowball fight; one of the older ladies got involved, and she has a good arm.

I spent the rest of the day with friends and their family. There was good food, good company, and lots of laughter. One of the boys and I still need to play another chess game; we're tied 1-1. He wanted the best of 3. I really thought he'd beat me in 2, but we battled out the second game until I won. I had to assure him that I didn't let him win the first game. I've had some people tell me that I should let kids win games and that they'll feel better about themselves if I let them win, but I disagree. I think it's insulting to the children, gives them a false sense of how wonderful they are, and makes it harder for them to lose later in life. Also, they know that they won because they played better than I did; that's what makes them feel good about themselves.

And on that note: Here's an Easter hymn for you:


No comments: